Saturday, April 28, 2007

Understanding God's Impartiality

Peter says a peculiar thing in Acts 10:35, when he begins an incredible, compact sermon on the gospel with the following statement: "Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him."

When I read through this text this morning as part of a study through the biblical theology of missions, the final phrase and a half caught my attention. I tried to let the statement sink into my mind as I read it, and as part of trying to understand it, I took a step back and tried to think how these statements could be misrepresented.

Here's what I came up with: Does the statement that "in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him" indicate an inclusivist viewpoint? That is, should we look at this statement and conclude that God accepts people from every nation who do right in his sight? Are men who have never heard the gospel held to a different standard than faith in the resurrected Christ?

Of course, this would be a stretch at any level, due to the clarity of passages such as Romans 10:14-17, which establish not only the importance of preaching the gospel, but also the condemnation for those who, once hearing, have rejected the Word.

But, in my mind, as I try to wrestle with just what Peter is speaking of here, I want to try and figure out what this passage means, so I read on.

What I find as I read is a majestic and concise preaching of the gospel. Peter is preaching the Jesus that God sent to Israel as good news of peace; the Jesus annointed by God with the Holy Spirit and with power; the Jesus who rang in the kingdom with mighty works; the Jesus put to death by hanging on a tree; the Jesus that God raised on the third day and who appeared to particular people who serve as witnesses to the resurrection; the Jesus who commanded the preaching that he is annointed of God to judge the living and the dead; the Jesus to whom the prophets bear witness that everyone who beleives in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.

So what about men who 'do what is right' in the eyes of God? What's this mean? It has to mean obedience to the gospel--belief in the name of Jesus, in whose name we receive forgiveness of sins.

No comments: