Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Here it is...

Boys, over the last few months, as you know, I've written a few songs. I was playing a few of them today and the thought occured to me that no one else has even seen the words. I figured, what better place to start than with those of the reckless raging fury community. I don't really know why i've been writing them, and i'm not saying these are amazing works of art or anything, but they are probably the best look at me over the last year. I have written basic music to most of them, but not all. here are a few of the songs, let me know what you think...

Birmingham Rock (I wrote it on a rock in the fall)
On the rock sometimes it's hard to see
what you don't even know is there
and looking out on this shadow scene,
I can see my own weakness

How many times have I charged on by the bluff
my eyes only see the clock, I'm late again
and my heart takes for granted every day
its like i'm calling my own shots

Lord you made the summer, the fall and spring
and you make the snow fall from the sky
but why does this forest look so bare
i guess that's the way it goes with faith

But there's still a land man hasn't touched
its further away every time i fill up
cause i can't get past these bars that hold me in
seems everywhere i go, you've got me hemmed in.

Independence Day (Wrote this today)
v.1 Its independence day in birmingham
the world could hardly be further away
a stranger in a strange land
my heart is worlds away from here
(chorus)
And the thoughts and crys of victory rise on my tv
my countrymen rejoice and drink a little today
in glory of the cause, and for those who we've lost
watch the glory of the skies, its independence day.
v.2 The stars and stripes, red white and blue
let your neighbor know you're in the promised land
built by blood and tears that can't erase doubts and fears
my mind travels worlds away from here
(chorus)
v.3 The shades and shadows will one day be passed
every wrong will be redeemed- even my own
can you see the billions of blood-washed rebels
following the march home?
(chorus 2)
And the thoughts and cries of victory rise from my mouth
my countrymen rejoice and drink a new wine
in the glory of the cause- the lost have been found
watch the glory of the skies
watch the politicians and kingdoms bow and confess
only to you Lord, only to you
Jesus, your kingdom come.

God of Mercies
v.1God of mercies like a river
is there room enough and strength
because i've wandered off the path
and Lord you know my past
(chorus)
High above the heavens
and deeper than the depths
your grace vast as any ocean
hides and cleanses even me
v.2 God of truth and free of lies
the Lord who spoke the skies
your word runs at your call
and tells this sinner you've forgiven all
(chorus)
(bridge)
Like a mighty rushing tide
Love sweeps my sin away
I look to the lamb who died
all i can do is to say...
(chorus)

Greys (wrote this on the way to India- don't really have a tune for it yet)
v.1 I'm looking for a miracle, waiting on a sign
Ive spent every dollar, i've blown every dime
at the end of my line i'm doing all i can
i'm running on a treadmill and can't escape the jamb
(chorus)
But you are God anyway
you haven't left because you've promised to stay
grace from your hand comes in so many ways
even now the light is shining through the greys
v.2 Airport lounge in Frankfurt is no place to sleep
and her pitterpatter lights up the la gears on her little feet
what a diverse crowd from Greenwood to Bombay
you've made us for yourself and you've brought us here today
(chorus)
(bridge)
So give me eyes to see the glory of your world
cause I want to praise you in every day that's given
through the rain and shine
the blues and the greys
v.3(not sure about this one yet)
and one day the light is gonna shine all around
and what i strain to see will be as clear as day
when the God who gave all and died on the tree
will stand alive in glory for all to see
(chorus)
so another grey day won't hurt anything
becuase the light thats coming is gonna change everything

Pune Blues (obviously wrote it in Pune, India)
v.1 In a dry and weary land how i long for a cool drink
whatever it is about this place my mind begins to think
(chorus)
O I am thirsty
in a dry and barren place
im coming to the Fountain
because you satisfy
v.2 In a place full down with a burden, I lok to you and i can't play the part
of the cynic or the judge as you break my heart
(chorus)

A Rebel to your Grace (also written in India- i like this one)
v.1Marching in the troops and i've got the wrong colors on
filthy rags my cloths and empty words are my battle song
(chorus)
i'm a rebel to your grace
i've turned and ran away
i have cursed you to your face
yeah i'm a rebel to your grace
v.2 I've heard your cries and i've ignored your pleas
calling me to a closer walk with thee
(chorus)
v.3 But now i've got a new name and new threads
since you gave your blood for wine and your body as bread
(chorus 2)
Cause you're stronger than the rebel
youre fiercer than the foe
and your love never quits
and i'm captured by your grace

All I'll Ever Need (wrote it in Dallas Airport on the way back to b'ham in March)
v.1 Another day another dollar one more trip around the maze
another drink another burger one more day i've spent alone
can anybody hear me or am i speaking into thin air
because sometimes i can't feel
(chorus)
You're all I'll ever need and your sufficiency covers everything
and though you''re the lion who pursues i know the king is my portion
and you alone satisfy me
v.2 Another glance another eye one more reason to feel alone
another arrow, another attack one more diversion from the road
are my mind and heart as shallow as it seems
because lately its like i've forgotten everything
(chorus)
v.3 (musically the mirror opposite of verses 1,2)
Its not just one more day and dollar because there's not one hurt you throw away
though you wound and the arrows hurt....i know that you alone satisfy me
(chorus)

What if you Fought like i do? (one of the first i wrote)
v.1Thank you that your patience looks nothing like mine.
you were mocked you were beaten, you were led like a lamb
and i fight for my rights
v.2Thank You Jesus for turning the other cheek
you had 10,000 angels and you obeyed your creation
and i puff up at anything
(chorus)
what if you fought like i do?
what if your pride looked like mine?
would i have a chance?
am i really that good?
v.3 You laid down your life and you emptied yourself of everything
who are the only one who is anything
and i think so much of myslef
(chorus)
v.1

There's a few more, I'm not even sure why i put these out here...oh well.

2 comments:

Jay and Janelle said...

You kidding me?! Those are some awesome lyrics, my brother. I'm going to use the last verse and chorus of Greys in my hs/jh lessons this week.

John Hobbs said...

I loved them. You are breaking my heart thinking of you lonely on the other side of the country, but I guess that's just part of the God training, huh?
I look forward to hearing them.
Pops