Friday, August 3, 2007

Wow! Self-Denial is Tough

It happened tonight at the end of my shift. As the only people who will ever look at this blog already know, I just started working at 'Wow', a buffalo wing restaurant here in Corona.

Pride and self were fighting for control of my heart, when I took the last table to be sat at the restaurant, and they made themselves right at home. Not only did they ask for every service I could possibly render throughout their hour-plus stay, but they sat in their seats 30 minutes after we closed and ignored the checks I put on their table at around 10 (which should've been quitting time).

I knew that it wouldn't get any easier once they'd left and I picked up the bills to look at the tips. Both pay-ers (is that a word?) left a little over a 10% tip, which didn't lend itself to my satisfaction.

But, I'd been thinking earlier, why should I be placing my satisfaction in people (and customers at a restaurant/money at that) when Christ calls for a much deeper obedience?

God reminded me of His word, that all who desire to follow Jesus must deny ourselves, take up our cross daily and follow him. That's a stout command if we've ever heard one.

I'd been trying to talk through this idea of denying ourselves to follow Christ to the junior high boys in my small group this past summer at camp, and I struggled to put the right words to it. I'm not sure if I have the right words yet, but moments like I had tonight are bringing me closer.

In that situation, Jay is ticked off because he feels that he's been taken advantage of (which he has) and his service has been taken for granted. Not only that, but Jay is bitter at the lack of a proper tip from people who sit around for days upon end at his work.

But, in Christ's economy, the way we follow Him is to look at situations like these and place our trust in God alone, who alone satisfies. That's what it's all about in the end. It isn't about frustrations in the moment and it's not about reacting to a perceived offense. It's about taking those situations and casting them upon God, who cares for us and is near is in all situations.

It's so sweet to be brought that much closer to the cross of Christ, who voluntarily gave up each and every one of His kingly rights--the praises of heaven--to be humbled and come to our level. It's sweet to be brought that much closer to the cross of the Christ who could have called down legions of angels for His rescue.

It's sweet to taste that much more of heaven in our Savior.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.