Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Only One October...

Alright, I admit, the reason I'm posting today is to delay homework just another 20 minutes or so. Not that the homework will be a burden in it's content, but that the task just looks daunting.

This is a special time year for baseball fans. Threats that Joe Torre won't be back in New York, the on-going saga of Alex Rodriguez pulling a Mama Cass in the postseason and--I think George Steinbrenner's office might be bugged.

Wait a second. Let's play some word association. Postseason: Yankees! October: Yankees! Indians: Yankees! Rockies (winners in 18 of their last 19): Yankees! Diamondbacks (aka "Babybacks", best record in baseball): uh.... Yankees!

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising, which it isn't, but it definitely is distracting to hear Chip Caray (pictured) and the rest of the universe trip all over themselves to try and make the postseason all about the Yankees, who, granted have made the playoffs for 12 years in a row and won 4 WS titles during that stretch.

But holy cow, let's move on and talk about some cool series' starting up at week's end. The Rox-D-Backs is going to be a sweet matchup for sure. I think Brandon Webb is starting every game for the 'Backs and ... heck I don't know who's starting for the Col-o-Rad-o Rock-ies... That may be due to my ignorance, but who can blame me?

That's not even to mention an American League Champ Series that pits Beckett-Shilling-Wakefield-Papi-Manny-You Kill Us vs. Sabathia-Carmona-Byrd-Sizemore-Hafner-Peralta. That's gonna be a great series, minus Tim McCarver and Joe Buck.

But speaking of insufferable broadcasting, Chip Caray did give me some solace in last night's game, promising that TBS' focus will now turn to the desert for the NLCS.

As Bobby De Niro (pictured) knows, "a lot of problems [e.g. Chip Caray] are 'taken care of' in the desert."

5 comments:

Casey said...

Nicely Done, Dude

Jarrett said...

There is no game like baseball!!!!

John Hobbs said...

nicely done, must I must add my outrage at Mr Carey. Just visualize Harry, with a few buds in him, saying the youngster's words the other night when in the top 9 w/1 out, the "Yank" eez
(ty chris farley) were down 12-3.
And I quote, " Well, the Yankees wanted to win 2 here in Cleveland going in to this series, but short of that they would like a split." Do you think? And by the way, if it's inept announcers that you crave, tune in to NASCAR and listen to Tim McCar...I mean Rusty Wallace, wow.

Anonymous said...

you forgot man...there's only one actober!

Jay and Janelle said...

For reals 'Goblin... Why does TV feel like I need some insulting intimidation in my life? I feel like the Monty Python skit: I came in here for an argument...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y05EmK66Gsk