I have talked to both of the reckless raging fellows about this, but last week I was reading in 1 Thessalonians about the immanent return of Jesus. It occured to me that this was the same hope that they must have had 2,000 some odd years ago. Jesus was coming right back and everything would be changed. Their persecutors would surely see the swift hand of God in justice and things would be made right. I began to wonder if I believed what I was
reading.
Before somebody has a stroke, let me clarify that I totally believe Jesus is coming
back to make things right. In my mind I don't doubt that for one minute. Where the rubber hits the road, in the application of what I believe, I truly do struggle with what it

means to believe all of this. It just seems as Donald Miller put it in Blue Like Jazz- like I have an imaginary friend.
It's just so hard, you know? I'm gonna preach on Sunday to a bunch of people who have been through it. They know heartache. They know pain. They know pain and cancer and loss of children and loss of innocence and loss of freedom. They are just like anybody else.
The tall order of the preacher- that whole 'thus says the Lord' thing, is just a difficult thing to deal with in reality. The task of presenting God to any people is a heavy one. God is the infinite Creator of the universe. Jesus upholds the universe by the word of his power! I have a few minutes to say what he says about himself.
The task of preaching is also beautiful. I get to stand up and declare that our God is the foundation, the fountain, the source, the spring, the essence, the light, the beauty, the ultimate. I get to say that from him and through him and to him are all things- to him be the glory forevermore.
They say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I think this only works with things that we can manipulate. A god in the hand is not better than the ultimate Sustainer of the universe over whom I can claim nothing. I think I'll be content with the fact that all of this is true. God is still God and its not up to me to keep that motor running. Its not my job to keep Jesus on the throne in heaven by my spectacular belief- not even a little bit. I will be content to know the Author and praise him. I will be content to love the Just One because He loves me! I will be happy to gaze upon his beauty. BETTER IS ONE DAY IN HIS COURTS THAN THOUSANDS ELSEWHERE!!!
Whether or not I feel like that is true, I know it is! My heart and flesh may in fact fail me but He is the strength of my heart and my portion forever!
Still working through it,
Casey
No comments:
Post a Comment