Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Great, Great, Great! 2008!

Now that a new year has been rung in and all those noisemakers and streamers are cleared out of Times Square, it's the perfect time to reflect the resolutions that Jonathan Edwards made nearly 300 years ago.

As I read through the first 30 last night during a break from my second all-day shift in as many days, I came across two resolutions in particular that relate directly to everyday life in Corona, Elk Grove and to the uttermost parts of the earth (i.e. Birmingham).

The two I have in mind are No.'s 14 and 15. First, the fourteenth: "Resolved, never to do any thing out of revenge." What a simple, biblical and Christ-centered statement this is, but how easily we can say that one comment, give that one look, or withold grace from another person who has been created in the image of God yet has fallen, just like we have.

I'm watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith right now with Janelle, the first half of which the two characters act in spiteful revenge against each other before taking vengeance on the bad guys throughout the second half. Good stuff all the way, but it just shows how prone we are to want to take the revenge that only God can. He is jealous to do so all on his own.

The second is No. 15: "Resolved, never to suffer the least motions of anger towards irrational beings." Now, I know that Casey and Tal Prince each hold the definition of stupidity as "Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result", but I have to say that any definition of stupity that lacks the inclusion of this anger toward irrational beings is somewhat deficient.

I see this anger all around me at work in particular, as I see straws, trays, lingiune, lasagna and bread all seemingly conspiring against my fellow servers. It's absolutely insane, but it's only by the grace of God that I can trust that things are the way they are for a reason: that we might bring glory to him regardless of circumstance.

Well, those are two resolutions that have stuck out to me, and the movie's over, so I guess I'd better get off this confounded uncomfortable couch! (shoot! another resolution broken!)

Looking to Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith,
JH

3 comments:

Tal Prince said...

Just a correction - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. The definition of stupidity is presenting a cheese wheel to your girlfriend on Valentine's day.

It's not too early to begin thinking about that gift now, my friend... ;)

Jay and Janelle said...

Ouch! Your honor, I believe that the facts are completely irrelevant in this case...

Anonymous said...

I'd also like to make a correction...the couches we were sitting on were not uncomfortable, not to mention you were sitting on the floor while writing the blog.

I'd also have to agree will Tal in saying it isn't too early to begin thinking about that v-tines gift... :)
good resolutions, by the way

-janelle