Monday, August 4, 2008

Change from Within?

Let me start by saying today is a pretty good day. I had a little Red Robin, bought an Ipod, and have been outside reading my bible and listening to some good music. I read Habbakuk, Amos, Zepheniah, some Ezekial. What has stood out to me the most is how completing undeserving man is for anything good. The analogy of being a whore is rampant in the old testament and it paints a perfect picture of how I act towards Christ. That said I wanted to write about something I have been thinking about since a conversation I had with a friend last night.

My friend made a comment about change being difficult - and expressed confusion on how to even begin change. This made me think about the changes I need to make in my life and I also pondered - where and how should I begin making those changes. One thing that experience hasa shown me is that by and large people don't really change. Change seems almost near to impossible. And then I realized on my own - change is impossible. I can't change one thing about myself. And therein lies the secret. How do I change, for starters I must realize I can't change. I have no power within myself. I am untterly and absolutely helpless. This for me is a frightning thing. I cannot do it. And it is an offensive thing to my pride - I want to be able to control my life - the thought of that not being a possibility hurts my pride. But I know from the Bible and experience that is the case. I'm done for. So how can I change. What hope do I have???

The hope is that the One who changes lives offers to change mine for me. We are not alone! Jesus Christ offers hope in a way that nobody can - not even myself. It would be as futile for me to attempt to make the sun rise or the rain fall as it is for me to attempt to change myself. Yet he who makes light shine out of darkness, who orders the rain upon the grass and commmands the sun to rise every morning is willing to use that power for my good. What kind of grace are we dealing with? What kind of God is this who will help me as undeserving as I am?

So what must I do. First as I said, I must lay down my pride and self-reliance and turn to Jesus and seek his help. God promises in Psalm 32 that "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." God is not wanting us to go astray. He loves us at the cost of sending his Son to die for our sins and he cares for us. 1 Peter says, "Cast your cares on him - for he cares for you" God cares for us, He cares for me.

For me the changes that I must make relate to sin. I am a lustful, prideful, selfish person. My remedy is to following John's word that "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." So in response to my sin I must acknowledge it, confess it, and God will forgive me. Then I must pray to him that my attitude and heart change about what I have been doing. Second I must renew my mind. It is not enough for me to not dwell on wordly things, but I must dwell on things ultimate realities. Ephesians 4 says But that is not the way you learned Christ!— assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off your old self,which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

So second I must renew my mind. I need to do this by reading my bible and dwelling on God's truth. Its not enough that I pray for help and do nothing. God has given the answer to all my problems, but I must find them in his word. He will direct me but I must put in my effort.

You know as I'm writting this I just all of a sudden was hit with a sense of what am I doing. Certain things in life just don't seem like they are going the way I want them to or think they should. My priorties are all jacked and I probably need to take my own advice. I also realized how easily destracted I am. All day I have really enjoyed it and now right in the middle of writting about spiritual things I turn to a state of anxiousness and sadness. So what do I need to change? Whats my problem? My problem is I need to be satisfied with all that Jesus is for me and all he offers. Then I will not be a rollercoaster of emotion, but I will be firmly planted in the truth of God's promises. I must confess that, pray for change, turn to God's word and let the power of Christ do the rest. I need to trust Jesus. I need to, as the Bible says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will direct your path." What a promise!!! The ultimate solution to change begins with placing faith and trust in Jesus.

1 comment:

Casey said...

good stuff man...glad to be walking the path with you brother.