I was thinking recently on how to deal with disappointments. How should we handle events and circumstances that don't go as planned? What should be our guiding thoughts as we deal with difficult time or things that in general just don't go as planned? As I thought this through, what kept coming back to me over and over again was, "Do you trust Him?" Quite a simple question and yet the answer is powerful. Do I trust him? Do I trust that he is good, that he is wise, that he loves me, and is doing what's best for me? The resounding answer in my soul was very much "I do!" I am thankful for that response, for that is not our natural reaction, it is a supernatural one. And as I thought about how much I trust him, I became increasingly at peace with the circumstances I find myself in. It was a wave of comfort that kept growing stronger and stronger. I believe, in the very core of my being, that he knows what he's doing. He is in control. Not only is he sovereignly in control, but he uses that sovereignty to see that all things work for my good! That is unspeakably precious to me. He has the power to do all things and He works that mighty power on my behalf. Sure things might not be easy at every turn and certainly not always enjoyable. But even those hard times are being carefully orchestrated for my everlasting benefit. I picture Jesus standing with a blow torch. He turns it on me every now and then. It can be extremely painful, often times almost unbearable, but it is not meant to hurt me. It is designed to burn all the garbage off of me me so that one day I "will shine like the sun in the kingdom of my father." He has refining purposes. And oh how I need to be refined. There is much sin that needs cleansing in the fire of his love. It seems the greatest disappointments and the hardest trials are the greatest source of refinement. He is building our faith so that we better realize that one day in his courts is better than a thousand elsewhere.
As I thought more about this I began to think: What is our best evidence that we can trust Him. My first thought and I think the greatest answer is that he was faithful to his promise by sending Jesus to die on a cross. You see seven hundred years before Christ was born, God promised through Isaiah that his "Servant" would be crushed, bruised, and chastised - and this would be for our salvation. And seven hundred years later it came true. There never has been nor ever will there be a greater promise than this. And there has never been an emotionally harder promise to fulfil. To consider God the Father looking down on his Son and watching the mocking, watching the spitting, watching the beating, watching the whipping, watching the crown of thorns, watching the nails in the hands, watching the spear in his side, and hearing the most unbearable words a Father could hear, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me", without breaking his promise is mind blowing. And it MUST be the hardest act of promise keeping in the history of the universe. Never was the the trustworthiness of God's Word so beautifully, powerfully, and preciously displayed than on Calvary. Is he trustworthy? The question almost seems silly given the answer. He is absolutely faithful to his Word. He is always to be trusted and he never breaks his promises. When God says, "No good thing will he withhold from those whose walk is blameless" - He means it. What an amazing source of joy and encouragement. That is why the psalmist can say in Psalm 28:7 "The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart rejoices, and with my song I give thanks to him!!!" Amen.
I end by reminding you and myself - "Don't begrudge the hard times." They are designed for our refinement. And always trust Him. He is faithful to his Word when he says, "All things work together for good." Believe him - He sent his Son to die so that you might know his love, goodness, and never changing faithfulness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment