Today has been an exhausting day, the beginning of a week of school picking up on the tail end of an exhausting weekend--physically, emotionally and spiritually.
It hasn't been taking a lot to set me off and get me tearing up in the last 24 hours, and I'm trying to get over my pride in that and recognize God's everyday grace in my life that He has provided through the cross. I'm wanting to live a life worthy of the gospel of Christ, and if fighting for joy in my life means looking like a weeping willow every now and then, I want to be game for it.
Among so many things that I'm thankful for through the cross, definitely those that stick out most in my life revolve around my friendship and fellowship with God's people, especially lately. Encouragement from my future wife--I'm incredibly thankful for her--has been combined with encouragement from my brother in a time when I didn't know I needed a word as much as I really did.
Words have such an impact in our lives, just like James 3 is talking about. The tongue is a fire and we seldom realize the force that a word for good or an off-the-cuff comment can have on the lives around us. This weekend I was reminded of that in a way that caused me to thank the Lord for working as He does, through His people, for His glory and their good.
I've also been encouraged to think about the impact that words and attitudes have for the Kingdom since I learned about the death of Professor Marler, who taught at Cal Baptist for 50 years. He was such a kind-hearted man of God and in so many understated and under-appreciated ways, he served the Lord with all of his heart while he lived. Thinking about the encouragement and instruction that he offered me, especially when I was working on my senior project a few years ago, made me just a little glassy eyed as I thought about the legacy men leave behind them.
Finally, I just can't help but be overjoyed and pumped to the bone about Dusty and Jamie and their super-exciting day last Friday, when they not only closed the deal on their first house, but found out that their pregnant with their first child on the same day! In the words of Luca Bratsi, "I hope their first child would be a masculine child."
Anyways, that's what's been on my heart over the past weekend and how the Lord has refreshed my soul with His people even if my body and mind want to cash it in and find a beach somewhere.
Monday, April 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment