Monday, June 9, 2008

...and now back to the game...

So here I am in sunny Southern California and the only thing that's gone wrong in the last week has been the horrific sunburn that I acquired at the beach yesterday. Jay got married, as I assume all of our loyal subscribers were well aware (mainly because odds are you were there), and that was quite an experience. 

One thing that has really stood out to me over the past week of pre-wedding arrangements and chore-boy-ing that I have been a part of is the massive break in reality that seems to take place in the days leading up to a wedding. I really felt like reality was put on hold as I woke up and helped paint chairs, string lights and attempted to calm down fellow rrf founder and groom, Jay Hobbs. 

I really felt like the real moment at which reality seemed to re-enter my time frame for the week was when Scott Burns, wedding ceremony veteran, spoke of the covenant that Jay and Janelle were making to one another and the meaning of their vows. Far from making the rest of the week's seemingly endless details mundane or meaningless, that moment of clarity seemed to validate all the week's scurrying around. 
It was like Vin Scully, the great Dodger announcer, at the end of one of his priceless tidbits when he very smoothly transitions back with a "and now back to the game". Life had been happening all week and I had just been taking some of those moments for granted, like these arrangements that would produce only the inevitable result of the two of them being married. That was definitely true and helpful on the level of making it through this week with our sanity intact but there's a limit to the statement.

It's like our own lives. So many times I devalue the details of my life because I can't see their significance. I feel like one of the Israelites that Jesus talked about, you know, the ones who were always looking for a sign? Yeah, I feel like that. 

So the details of my life take on a whole new meaning in the shadow of the cross. THE significant thing has happened before I was on the scene. My whole life is lived in the shadow of the cross and therefore all the details of my life find their validity, their redemption in that one act. Here's to finding meaning in the mundane!

No comments: